Monday, July 5, 2010

i was gonna be broke but then i got high

I

If I have to stretch my savings to make it reach until next month (the time I expect to get paid for the new job I do not yet have), I would need to spend at most 100 pesos each day. But I've been at least 250 pesos each day for the past few days that I'd get drained halfway through.
So I went out on today's trip haunted by the thought that I am not making any money and yet spending more than I am supposed to. When you don't make money, you're not supposed to spend. Not supposed to breathe since breathing requires metabolism and metabolism requires food and food costs money. But life goes on so spending must go on!
I feel so trouble by not having money but I just tell myself to "give peace a chance"--to give myself a chance to be peaceful financially. To do that, I have to be absolutely broke so I don't worry about money.

II

I went to the gym today to have leg workouts to have greater leg power for Saturday's time trial and to increase my pain tolerance. But I overdid my workout. My thighs were aching so bad I found it nearly impossible to climb the stairs. So much for the old guy who finished 1,000 kms in three weeks in Nov. 2009.

I still wanted to get the hell out of myself and into nature so I rode my motorcycle. Destination: Lanipga, Carmen. Several kilometers from Carmen, it is what I call a no-man's land--because practically every square inch in the area is owned by wealthy families and ain't no man can have them no more.

Before getting there, I passed by Manang UK standing on a road that shoots up to the right of the main road. She just got from town to buy clothes. She's not the typical shopping bag girl that you see in Ayala carrying twenty shopping bags an arm--she literally sacked the clothes she bought. With her are two sacks for 50kg rice stuffed tight with used clothes from the town ukay-ukay.

Manang UK only had 30 pesos left with her so she had to get off the habal-habal 4km from her home. She just hoped that she could hitchhike and that she asked of the next habal-habal guy who passed by after several minutes. He hesitated but gave Manang UK a ride anyway.

Ain't got no ticket to ride.

Just a few bends from where Manang UK was I spotted this Mama and Child waiting for a habal-habal. They were waiting outside of an M.L. property. Most of the people in her barangay are employed by the L's. Not to make jewels or anything. It's construction work, mostly. They pave roads, build walls (note that, build walls!), or just build new houses for those who are so afraid to be homeless that they make twelve houses for themselves.

Waiting for Godot? He's always late.

On I went with my journey. When it's late in the afternoon, there is a stark contrast between shadows and light. No poetical shades of grey. Just bright and dark. A similar visual contrast is shown by the living condition there. While some people recreate the Great Wall of China on their yards, others have make-do with their shacks. These shacks got four legs that looked like they are all too eager to leap out of the poverty they are in.

Four-legged house. 100% domesticated.

III

You know why the rich don't go to jail? 'Cause they've got nicer place to go. (GOT IMPATIENT WITH THIS PICTURE FORMATING STUFF SO JUST MAKE SENSE OUT OF THE PICS BELOW)




















































Compostela is a mess right now so they turn to prayer--it's great to feel that someone's doing something while you do nothing.

4 comments:

  1. now i want to visit compostela. love the four-legged house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. carmen na ang photos cinds. usa ra compostela. hihi. kanang ubos. ako lang gipicturan.

    thanks gen. will have to chase the pedal now that it's running.

    thanks guys. :D

    ReplyDelete