Thursday, July 1, 2010

2nd Day of Unemployment: The Fates, Single Tracks, and a News-bearing Tree

It was a typical Thursday 9am except that when I was going down the paved road in Brgy. Sta. Cruz, Liloan, a snake crossed the road. Now, this one's different from the chicken-crossing-the-road stuff. When a snake crosses the road, you don't ask why. You freaking run for your life! That should answer why I did not take a pic of it.

When I reached a bend, I saw three women and told them about the snake stuff. They said snakes have been going out of their cribs lately because of the weather--whether we like it or not. When they shared their own experiences with snakes and did their own explaining, each of them started their interminable monologues. It was like none of them was talking to anybody. They just talked. They sort of reminded me of the Fates. Those three Greek sisters of destiny. Because there were three of them and I thought I was gonna die before I saw them. Too bad they were too busy, they forgot to snap my thread.

the fates: they keep you informed


I've noticed that one of the Fates was wearing unpaired slippers. Spartan for the left foot and a white slip-on for the right, with a white ribbon on its strap.

when rizal threw his slipper, bonifacio lost his as well. and our Fates here chanced upon each

One of them advised me to bring "ahos bisaya" so the snake won't come near me. I don't know which of them because they talked simultaneously. The another told me to run away when I saw one. Conversations like this reminds me of those "myriads of voices" stuff that school papers brag about. You know, those editors who think that "myriads of voices" was such a cool phrase.

And so I when on with my sojourn and from thirty feet away, I finally spotted strawberry-fields-forever: the Elysian fields of poets. Only to realize that they were just flowers.

buy me a rose, call me from work, open the door for me what would it hurt?

With a broken heart that cannot be mended together by a string of flowers, I went to look for a track that will break my head and neck as well. And, youreckah! I found it. No need to say anything anymore. This one's not a descent. It's a plunge. So I gathered all my Marlboro spirit, held my breath (knowing that it could be my last), and dropped off. Fortunately, the coward in me won before I did anything more stupid and descended with my left foot unclipped.

days like this, you might not be able to go home


The drop off was in Tabla, Liloan and it ended at a barangay road in Panas, Consolacion. But the track was not that long. It was only 300 meters, at most. My adrenaline thirst already quenched, I went home to come across a sight of historic signifance: A NEWS-BEARING TREE!

It featured everything--national and local news, lifestyle news, int'l politics and sports. Those farmers were really smart to be able to create a hybrid tree. I bet they pick the news when it's already ripe and send it to the press.

the news tree smart farmers have been taking care of

So my day ended with the assurance that whatever news we here, it's always fresh.

No comments:

Post a Comment